- The Bajina Bašta and Zvornik hydropower plants were built in 1968 and 1955 and have exceeded their economic and technical life.
- Without extensive refurbishment and modernisation the two hydropower plants’ electro-mechanical units would suffer from serious malfunction.
- The turbines have been overhauled in both power plants, and their service life has been extended by 30-40 years.
The project includes the rehabilitation of the turbines and the modernisation of the electro-mechanical equipment in both hydropower plants.
- The Bajina Bašta and Zvornik projects have increased their capacity by 15% and 25%,
- 460 MW of installed capacity have been rehabilitated in total,
- 77 MW of power were additionally commissioned,
- Continued operation of the power plants avoids CO₂ emissions of around 1.9 million tonnes per year (compared to electricity production in a coal-fired power plant).